We’ve been watching this thing unfold our whole lives. We know the political game. We think. But do we really? Do we understand that so much of our life decisions are made for us behind closed doors?
No. I’m no conspiracy theorist. I’m a person with a little bit of a marketing education. Everything you do, every choice you make is about the spin… to make the sale.
Full disclosure: I am a registered Republican and I consider myself to be ethically and morally conservative, but I am a modern woman with progressive ideas in governing. I would probably be best described as a Libertarian.
Here are the 10 ways I feel Governor Romney’s handlers are failing him:
- The Governor’s handlers seem to be steering him away from the Tea Party and their concerns — like the military, gun rights, immigration & strength of borders, taxes, states’ rights… Here’s the thing. Statistically, these are well-resourced well-educated members of his own party who are ready to fully support him, but he is standing on the precipice between the center and the Tea Party. Just enough “Americana” to stir people emotionally, but not enough to really be saying anything important. UNITED PARTY FAIL.
- I need Candidate Romney to talk about fairness. How there is no such thing as getting a fair shot; that, from the moment of conception, the fairness in your life is gone. This class warfare thing is stupid. He needs to go hard after the rhetoric which insinuates that there is any way for the government to effectively level the playing field. He needs to flat-out label the liberal rhetoric as Socialism. His people need to be putting out an ad campaign that lists every socialist country … and how well socialism worked for them. And we need to hear talk about how frikkin rich the Obamas are! TALKING POINTS FAIL.
- We are facing HARD economic times. Forecasters are saying we are in the red zone for yet ANOTHER recession. That’s right. Another one. I don’t hear this coming out of the Governor’s mouth and it absolutely should be the refutation that needs to face Obama’s talk about any so-called current recovery. MORE TALKING POINTS FAIL.
- More on hard economic times: JOBS. The Governor needs to slam that U6 card on the table so hard that the shot glasses shatter. The current administration claims we are at 7.8% (October 2012) with a decreasing GDP … which is, by definition, impossible. The real number is 14.7%. He needs to talk about how the unemployment number is falsely decreasing because there is a huge push to put unemployed workers on Welfare (socialism. ahem.) and/or Disability. MORE TALKING POINTS FAIL.
- Balancing the budget is important. The fact that this nation hasn’t had a balanced budget in THREE YEARS is something that should be a major warning flag to voters. And it’s not a major talking point and I’m baffled as to why. SMH AT THE TALKING POINTS FAIL.
- Romney needs to be hitting HARD on our military having been reduced by at least one-third under Obama, and possibly more. He’s talking about increasing military funding, but he’s countered by the President’s response: “We decreased that funding because they didn’t ask for it.” This is a major concern for patriots. The Tea Party. The military members who can’t stand the current POTUS and his methods (most of them). UNITED PARTY/TALKING POINTS FAIL.
- Three words: Fast and Furious. The Romney campaign needs to be getting that Univision exposé out to the public! How are they standing themselves right now while not having pounced on this fast and hard?!?! The Obama people should be standing there so entirely and completely stunned! But they’re not. Just … FAIL.
- When I was “Googling” Candy Crowly to learn more about her in preparation to watch this debate, I found that Barack Obama’s website has a paid link right there at the top … where you could watch the debate on their website. Where was Romney’s website? Gone. SEARCH ENGINE FAIL.
- Statistics say that Barack Obama is handily winning in young people and women. Why? Because he’s “trending”. That means his name is getting mentioned over and over and over on social media … and his name being mentioned is met with approval by social media participants. The Democrats are slick and have all the flash and support of Hollywood. R’s have tried so hard to be “everyman”, they’ve missed out on this imperative marketing tactic. SOCIAL MEDIA FAIL.
- We are facing the potential threat — yes, threat — of handing our national sovereignty over to the rest of the world on a silver platter. The United Nations is currently attempting to impose five — yes five — taxes (that’s a book on it, here’s another source) to redistribute American wealth to the world. These are for “causes” that aren’t bad: cigarettes, internet, carbon footprint, a “Robin Hood” levy, oil drilling. But they remove our country’s sovereignty. President Obama has publicly said he would allow the UN to do this to our country. This is a quiet, under-the-radar assault on our nation and its sovereignty and Mitt Romney needs to take a solid, LOUD stand on it. THE BIGGEST TALKING POINT FAIL EVER.
I know that I lack experience and education, and I can see these gaps in strategy!
Final point. Barack Obama is not running a campaign of substance. His first three years as president have not been of substance. Romney has done a good job of dissecting that record — or lack thereof — in the debates, but that’s just not enough to reveal the thin façade that is the Obama campaign. Emotional rhetoric works reeeeally well, but doesn’t go very far. I don’t know the fixes to every one of these points. But I definitely know that by not coming at these 10 issues with absolute power punches, Romney’s camp is looking like it wants to lose this election.
And this is where I’ll stop for fear of starting to ramble about how much I’d love to see a candidate who actually has the guts to take the hard stance of easing out medicare/caid, welfare & social security. I would much rather have that money in my own pocket to take care of my own future … and see my country not be in debt. But we don’t have a candidate like that, so this is a conversation for another day.
Romney, if you want my help, I’m available. 🙂